KiXforms Forum Index KiXforms
The Forum for the KiXforms Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Quick Links 
Site News
Downloads
Documentation
Donations
Script Archive
Tracking Systems

Forum Outage due to Server Failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod
KiXforms Webmaster
KiXforms Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Forum Outage due to Server Failure Reply with quote

On Friday 8th August 2003, the hosting company for KiXforms.org suffered a major hardware failure. The RAID volume in the server for KFO was unrecoverable and all hosting accounts were moved to a new server. Unfortunately, it transpires that the last time the hosting company performed a full backup of their customers’ data was around the 5th July 2003. Although I maintain several copies of the main web site contents, I do not have full backups of the Bulletin Board. The result is that approx 1 month’s worth of posts and 20 registered users have been lost for which I can only apologise.

The good news is that the hosting provider is going to attempt a low-level data recovery on the RAID set and if they are successful, then all data up until 8th August will be restored. Please note though that this process will take a few days and there is no guarantee that they will be successful. Furthermore, if the board is enabled in the interim and the SQL database is successfully recovered, then all new posts will be lost. Therefore, I have had to temporarily lock all the forums pending the outcome of the data recovery attempt. I can only apologise on behalf of my hosting company for all this inconvenience, and they do assure me that measures have been put in place so that this never happens again.

In the meantime, please post any KiXforms related questions over in the COM scripting forum of the KiXtart Bulletin Board, but please do check back here often as I will update this topic with the latest developments.

Rod.

Last edited by Rod on Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rod
KiXforms Webmaster
KiXforms Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the hosting provider for KiXforms.org was unable to recover any data from the damaged RAID set. This means that just over 1 months worth of posts and user registrations have been lost for good. I have received several assurances from the hosting company that this will never happen again and that they will now take backups every three days. I will also endeavour to take weekly backups of the SQL database to protect against any unforeseen circumstances. I have decided to stay with my current provider for now as they have taken preventative action, and their remorse for the disruption caused is certainly genuine. All that remains to be said is that the forums have been unlocked and user registrations re-enabled.

Welcome back,

Rod.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KiXforms Forum Index -> Announcements/FAQs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: